Free Shipping On All Orders Within South Africa

Jack Friedman

Diamonds Engagement Rings Latest News

Creating Jack Friedman Engagement Rings

Jack Friedman Engagement Ring CAD Customer Model

Engagement Ring Model Making

Creating Jack Friedman Engagement Rings begins with creating the model. Firstly, we start by conceptualising and hand sketching the design.

Secondly, our computer designers use special programs to convert the diamond ring into a 3D CAD design with the tiniest detail, thereafter the engagement rings are rendered to create a realistic image. Thirdly, the computer design is converted by printing or lasering the model. Lastly, our skilled craftsmen cast the engagement rings design out of wax.

Mold Making & Casting of the Engagement Ring

Once we have created the model, a mold of the engagement rings is made which allows us to create it in any metal colour. Our waxes are grouped together on our wax tree with other engagement rings styles to be cast in the same metal, carat and colour. The wax tree is placed into a form, where the plaster is poured into it. This form is hardened throughout the night while the wax is steamed away, leaving an empty form when creating the engagement rings. The gold is melted, using a high pressured vacuum and a nitrogen atmosphere the ring is pulled into a plaster form. If other components such as other Gold is fussed onto the existing model this is used by laser and solder. The hand finishing involves filing, drilling, bending and carving to ensure the perfect finish.

Diamond & Gemstone Engagement Ring Setting

After the engagement rings go through polishing stages to prepare for the gemstone setting. Diamonds and gemstones are chosen to the specifications of the diamond ring style. The colour, clarity and cut of every diamond gemstone are analysed to suit the customer’s specifications. The settings are cut and drilled into the metal of the diamond ring using special drill heads that are the profile of the diamonds. Each diamond and gemstone is placed into the setting created and secured by displacing the surrounding metal.

Polishing & Finishing the Engagement Rings

Once the diamond ring is assembled and all stones are set, the ring undergoes the final stages. We use a variety of sized and shaped polishing brushes and buffs to polish the smallest details on the engagement ring. The polishing undergoes stages ensuring the engagement ring has a high-quality smooth finish that accentuates the diamond’s brilliance and sparkle. Because white gold isn’t pure white, it needs plating. We plate our engagement rings by attaching electrodes and then dip the ring into rhodium solution. At Jack Friedman, our 18ct White Gold engagement rings are 75% with the remaining 25% containing 10% palladium and 15% other base metals to ensure our rings are a shinier white. We don’t use Nicol as people have allergic reactions.

Custom Designed Engagement Rings

We have our signature diamond ring collections, however, we can customise any of our current engagement rings to your preferred specifications.  We can also create completely custom designs that you can design yourself for your dream ring that will undergo the same process above. Creating engagement rings that you custom design are created by our artistic jewellery designers. 

The Palesa Crown

2014 - 2016

When Rolene Strauss, Miss South Africa 2014 (who became Miss World 2014), was announced at Sun City, she was crowned with a brand new glittering masterpiece worthy of her prestigious title. 

The team at Jack Friedman Jewellers wanted something that was both elegant and memorable. They decided to make the crown from platinum, one of the rarest elements in the earths crust, and synonymous with South Africa which accounts for 80 percent of world production. The precious metal in the Miss SA 2014 crown comes from Anglo American Platinum.

Miss South Africa 2014 - Miss World 2014

The Enhle Crown

2016 - 2018

A symbol of royalty the Enhle crown was an exquisite design by Jack Friedman. This pushed the boundaries of Jewellery design and we ensured that all the Miss South African woman who wear this crown feel and look like a queen.

Each name the Miss South Africa winners are engraved on the base.

the-enhle-crown